- The month of ramadan is 3 months away – it’s not that far ahead. The sahaba would spend 6 months before preparing for it.
- Ramadan is an important month where the shayateen are locked up and the doors of heaven are open.
- It’s like a jackpot for muslims where normal hasanaat get enhanced but with that, sins also get enhanced.
- Therefore, we must be take some time out before ramadan to reflect upon what our small sins are as we have to try and stop them. We can’t also blame it on shaytaaan as they are locked up so we must try to identify our shortcomings and work to correct them before this blessed month.
- Ramadan is also the month of the Quran. The first verses of the Quran were revealed in that Month. We would try to complete the quran but the sahaba and the salaf would try to complete the quran at most once a day. We must look at ourselves and reflect upon our relationship with the quran; do we have the ability to read it? How is how recitation and tajweed? Do we have the time? If not, a time must be assigned for it.
- Allah says in the Quran “O you who have believed, fasting has been written for you as it has been written for the ones before you so that you may attain Taqwa”.
- What is Taqwa?
There is a narration where Umar RA asked another Sahabi what Taqwa meant. He said “Imagine you are walking across the field with many thorns, what would you do? Umar RA said “roll up my garments and be careful as to where I walk”. He said “Taqwa is that”. Taqwa is to stay away from what Allah has forbade and only do what He has permit.
- It is a month in which we must work hard upon ourselves to gain the pleasure of Allah and change our little habits to make us the best we can be.
We may struggle with a couple of things, be it backbiting unintentionally or interacting with one another inappropriately, these things we can work on before the month of Ramadan so that we can come out of it having gained Taqwa.
May Allah forgive us our sins and allow us to reach this blessed month. Ameen